You can upgrade your theme to the latest version via the WordPress theme uploader, through an FTP client, or through a plugin. This tutorial will describe all options.
1. Download the latest version of the PRO theme from our website
Download the latest version of your PRO theme from your account.
2. Upload the latest version of the PRO theme to your website
Theme upload can be done in one of these three ways:
A – Upload via the WordPress theme uploader.
This is the easiest method. Nonetheless you could get the following error:
The reason behind this error is that you already have a folder on your theme directory on your server with the same name as the folder inside the ZIP file. You can solve it in one of these two ways:
* Rename the folder
The simpler solution is to either rename the folder on your server or rename the folder inside the zip file and then try again to upload the zip file via WordPress theme uploader
To rename the folder inside the zip file, follow these steps:
- Unzip the file on your computer
- Rename the folder (e.g. “spicepress”). Attention: the folder name must not have spaces in it.
- Compress the renamed folder to a ZIP file
- Try again to upload the zip file via WordPress theme uploader
* Delete the theme on your server
Attention! Follow this suggestion ONLY if you have not done any customization to your theme files, or if you are using a child theme that contains all your theme customizations, because this procedure will delete all changes/personalizations you will have saved to the original theme. Proceed only if all implications are clear and you understand the risks:
- Go to Appearance => Themes
- Activate Twenty Eleven (or another theme)
- Delete the old theme
- Try again to upload zip file via WordPress theme uploader
B – Upload via FTP
- Login to your FTP client,
- go to your WP install (i.e.: www.domainname.com)
- locate your wp-content folder (i.e.: www.domainname.com/wp-content)
- In the wp-content folder locate the themes folder (i.e.: www.domainname.com/wp-content/themes)
- In the themes folder, locate your theme’s folder (i.e.: www.domainname.com/wp-content/themes/spicepress/)
- Replace all the files in the theme folder with your latest theme files.
NOTE: Sometimes files uploaded via FTP can get warped in the process. If you have uploaded your theme using FTP and you notice malfunctions, please delete the theme folder on your server and re-upload it.
Should you find any other or further malfunction, please head over to our support forum and open a ticket.
C – Upload using a plugin
This procedure is NOT RECOMMENDED, as it relies on the plugin’s functionality.
If you are familiar with the logic and you are certain you know where to place the theme folder, you can use any file-managing plugin, like, for example, the File Manager plugin
If you use this method:
- Unzip your download
- upload the unzipped theme folder to your themes folder (i.e.: www.domainname.com/wp-content/themes)
Attention! remember to change one of the folders’ name